Friday, October 30, 2015

pumpkin black bottomed muffins


These muffins make me so happy.   Fudgy chocolate muffins topped with pumpkin goodness just can't be beat.

One of my favorite fall recipes is a cream cheese based dip (perfect for ginger snaps or apple slices).  I love it sooo much, and I wanted to find other uses for it to spread the joy when I remembered how awesome classic black bottomed muffins are.  I switched out the plain cream cheese for my dip and I really love the result.  The orange color is such a cheerful addition to the muffins, but the real treat is the pumpkin and orange flavors added.  Seriously, I want to eat the whole batch.  Luckily I've got three built in taste testers at home to eat them all for me.

I even have a clean up crew for the kitchen (in the fall at least).  It's amazing how quickly you can get a kid to help you sweep the kitchen when they realize they have a perfect witch broom to ride on already in their hands.  I kid you not.  My kitchen floors have never been cleaned than they are today.


I could have eaten this entire batch of muffin batter raw.  It looked and tasted just like fudge.  *Insert drool here*.  If you already have a well-loved chocolate muffin recipe, feel free to use it.  Just swirl a spoonful of pumpkin dip on top and bake according to your regular directions.


Seriously though, doesn't this just look like truffle filling or fudge?


I used a small spoonful over each muffin because I didn't want the entire top covered in orange, but how much you use is really up to you, as long as you don't overfill your cups.


Note: the chocolate will bake quicker than the pumpkin dip, so if the pumpkin topping still looks a bit undercooked when the muffins have finished baking, don't fret.  They firm up nicely once they've set.

 I like they messy, natural style of the orange tops, but after I made these Jeff had a great idea if you crave more structure and theme.  Pipe a large circle of pumpkin topping onto the center of the muffins and bake.  Once they've baked and set, use black frosting with a small piping tip to draw a Jack o' lantern face into the center of the orange.  Cute!


Okay, these are just gratuitous muffin shots.  I just couldn't decide which ones to post, so I posted most of them...  :)



I've had this pumpkin dip recipe for ages, and I can't for the life of me remember where I found it.  Let me know if you know who created it so I can give credit.  I love it, but it's not mine.


Pumpkin Dip

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 14 oz. marshmallow creme
  • 15 oz. pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp orange zest
Directions:
  1. Whip the cream cheese using a stand or hand mixer for about 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
  2. Add in the pumpkin puree and blend thoroughly.
  3. Add in the marshmallow creme and blend thoroughly.
  4. Add in the cinnamon and orange zest and mix until just combined.
  5. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.  
uses: 
  • dip for ginger snaps or apples
  • top chocolate muffins just before baking
  • spread between cake layers
  • etc.
note: I LOVE orange, so sometimes I like to add an extra teaspoon of orange zest.


Chocolate Muffins
makes about 12

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 3/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups AP flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line a muffin tin with wrappers.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the cocoa and baking powder.
  3. Whisk in the boiling water.  Once smooth whisk in butter and vanilla.
  4. Whisk in sugar, then whisk in the eggs one at a time
  5. Whisk in the salt and flour and stir until smooth.  The batter should look like thin fudge.
  6. Use a scoop to evenly distribute the batter into the muffin cups.
  7. Spoon a small spoon of pumpkin dip over the tops of the muffins.
  8. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and let sit on the counter for 10 minutes.  Enjoy!
Note: make sure the toothpick is inserted into the chocolate and not the pumpkin, as the chocolate part cooks faster and is more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment