Thursday, November 6, 2014

the downside of having a kid be very comfortable in the kitchen

Prepare a long "oh my gosh my kid is equally parts crazy and adorable" rant.

I try to make Liam feel at home in the kitchen.  He knows he isn't allowed to touch knives (butter knives excluded) until he is five.  We just made up an arbitrary age older than he is now.  I figure we'll revisit the age when he turns five... Otherwise in the kitchen he pretty much has free rein to help cook.

I saw no problem with this because he is generally such a tidy kid and always asks if he needs help.  Today was not like that.

I was putting away laundry and out of the kitchen area for maybe five minutes when Jack came crawling over to me.  I noticed that he smelled good.  Really good.  And not normal baby good.  I noticed he had something in his hair, so I sniffed him closer and smelled cinnamon.  Cinnamon?  Why does my kid smell like cinnamon I wondered.  Any time I notice something "off" in the house, I go to Liam first. It just helps me get the bottom of things much quicker.  Sure enough, found Liam playing in Jack's room.

Turns out that Liam opened the spice drawer because he wanted to smell things.  He immediately went for the cinnamon.  He decided to dump most of the cinnamon contents into the back of a toy tractor trailer (which according to him belongs to Farmer Renkins from Curious George), and I found him soon after he spilled a bunch of it on the kitchen floor, closed the cinnamon container, put it back and closed the drawer, and went into Jack's room.

On the down side, cinnamon everywhere that took a while to clean up, on the good side Liam likes seasonings and feels comfortable in the kitchen.  Bonus: Jack's room smells good, and Jack still smelled deliciously like cinnamon even after I washed his hair.

Note: I would have taken a photo of Liam looking adorable COVERED in cinnamon (he smelled great too) but I was too busy trying to steer him into the tub quickly while he gleefully tried to relocate the cinnamon all over him to the hallway walls.






For all the cinnamon you see pictured, there's about 60% more I didn't get good pictures of, plus the pile of cinnamon in the kitchen, and the large amount covering both boys.

*breathes deeply* The house smells nice, the house smells nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment