Saturday, August 1, 2015

wrap dress: Gertie Sews Vintage Casual





I'm so excited about my new dress.  First of all, pockets!  I love a good dress with pockets.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to sew them into all my handmade dresses from here on out.

I love this pattern too.  It's the wrap dress from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual.  I highly recommend this book if you like vintage styles and sewing.  Its got some really cute basic pieces.

That being said, I had to alter this dress quite a bit.  Apparently my sizing is not the same as the book's.  I made the whole dress with the book sizing (trying pieces on as I made them and they seemed fine), but when I finished the dress and tried it on...frump city.


I had to take in the top (front and back) because it was so puffy, I changed the sleeves from short sleeves to more flattering cap sleeves, I raised the waistline 2", and I raised the hem about 5".

Even with all the alterations though the dress only took about a weekend to make.  Not bad!


The whole point of making this dress was because I have all these cute sundresses in material completely unsuitable for heat.  Polyester and whatnot.  No thanks.  I HATE fabric that clings to you in the summer.  I need to breathe.  This dress is just simple cotton and breathes wonderfully.

Another great thing about this dress.  It's a full on wrap dress, but it crosses over plenty in the front so I don't have to worry about a little breeze making my flash anyone.  Always a plus!

Funny enough, I actually bought this fabric for this project to be a wearable muslin.  I found cute vintage-y looking fabric super cheap from the quilting cotton section of Joann (plus a 50% off coupon, woohoo!).  I figured if I messed up royally, or the dress turned out too frumpy I could just cut my losses.  Turns out I didn't need to.  Yay!

I really love this dress.  It's so cute and comfy!  Now I still have my original fabric I bought for this, so I can make myself a second one.


These pictures look so awkward.  I always feel weird having my picture taken.  Really, I only have so many up is so you can see the dress.


Yay pockets!  Yes, I really felt that needed to be said again.

Oh, and when I finally finished the dress, I tried it on and showed it to Jeff to get his opinion.  He took one look and said, "You look like a cute 50's housewife.  Do you have a string of pearls to wear with it?"

I'll take it.  :)

5 comments:

  1. so cute! I just got Gertie's book and am in the process of making this dress in a bright pink polka dot fabric. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I jut love that pattern. I need to make another one (or two!). Hope yours turns out nicely. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could look at your sexy ass all day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just jacked off to this picture

    ReplyDelete