Thursday, August 6, 2015

chocolate protein smoothie





I NEVER remember to eat breakfast.  I make it for everyone else, but mornings are when I wander around the house getting everything done.  It's gotten to the point where I had to put a sticky note on top of the coffee maker reminding me to eat breakfast.  Because of course I would never forget my morning coffee.

My best bet for breakfast is a grab and go option.  I love things like cinnamon rolls (obviously), but I'm either busy or I don't want anything too filling.  This drink is perfect.  Filling, easy to grab, and delicious.


To make this drink even easier and quicker in the morning I dump all the ingredients into tupperware in the fridge the night before.  That way the chia is easier to blend (having had all night to plump up), and all I have to do in the morning is dump one container's contents in the blender.  Simple.

I normally end up making a double batch though.  Everyone always asks for "just a few sips", and that adds up quickly!

I love having a super thick smoothie that fills me up and gives me hours of energy, especially when it feels and tastes like I'm drinking a chocolate shake (for breakfast.  Yay!)


This is the average meal for Jack and me on days when Liam is at preschool and Jeff is at work.  They almost always end up with bits of sandwich, plus a train (or two) and a cat on the table with us.  Plus Jack always decides that whatever I'm eating is what he wants.  We'll be eating THE SAME THING, but mine is in a different container than his, so...


If I'm using a cup, plate, bowl, etc. that looks like he could easily break it then Jack wants it even more.  And heaven forbid I try to help him hold it.  Nope.


He stills makes me a little nervous, but he hasn't broken any dinnerware yet *sigh of relief*.  I'm happy to share.  :)




Chocolate Protein Smoothie
makes 1 large or 2 small servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I prefer vanilla flavored whey)
  • sugar to taste
  • 1 banana, frozen
  • ice (optional)
Directions:
  1. For best results combine all ingredients overnight in the fridge.  In the morning pour out into a blender.  Blend thoroughly.  Enjoy immediately.
note: Ice is only needed if you do not use a frozen banana, or if you want an extra cold and icy smoothie.

If you make the smoothie entirely in the morning it might take a little more blender time to break up the chia seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment