Saturday, November 14, 2015

caramel apple tart


Doesn't this tart look yummy?  Is it.  So simple, yet amazing good.  Want to know a secret?  It was made entirely by a 4 year old.  MY four year old, Liam.  Not bad, huh?

I've gotta say, it made me get all warm and fuzzy inside yesterday when he told me he wanted a tart pan for Christmas for himself so we could make more tarts together.


Confused by the round caramel balls as opposed to a pretty drizzle?  I saw the bag of Kraft caramel balls at the store and just HAD to try them, I would have melted them down and drizzled the caramel over the tart, but since Liam made this himself I thought it would be simpler (and not quite so hot) for him to just dump them over top of the apple slices.

I still have lots of caramel left in the bag, and I can't wait to use them, so sorry in advance if I have a plethora of caramel related recipes soon!


I love baking with Liam.  We don't get to do it all the time, mostly because Jack wants to help too and 2 isn't quite old enough to be of much help.  When Jack is out of the house I take full advantage of my cute kiddo baking time!  As soon as I asked Liam if he wanted to bake a tart he ran over and immediately grabbed his apron, which made me so happy, because he hadn't used it in a while and he could have legitimately forgotten about it.


I'm trying something new starting with this post.  I have a you tube channel that I'm going to put the occasional post on.  I figure some people might prefer video over reading or whatever, and when I do post a video I'll make sure to link it up with the corresponding recipe.  I'm still very new at making cooking videos, and the video for this recipe is just awful, but cute.  It's my first cooking video, starring a 4 year old, with me helping a bit plus filming, with bad lighting, a messy kitchen, etc.  If you do watch the video make sure your sound is up because Liam is much quieter than me, but he says some cute funny things.


Okay, I really don't have much else to say other than list the recipe, but this photos look so pretty, I just had to post them.  :)


This tart really makes 6 servings, I just started cutting too big and ended up with 5 huge slices instead.  Aim for 6 slices.


As you can see, we left the apple peels on.  I wanted Liam to make as much of the tart as possible by himself, and I thought peeling might be a bit above him.  Also, I like the added color and look of a tart with the peels.  You can peel the apples first if you like.

Slicing the apples and helping Liam spread the dough into the tart pan are really the only things I helped with.  Liam seriously did the rest by himself.  Liam wasn't quite up to cutting the apples.  He either tried to hack them into weird huge chunks, of he keep trying to put his fingers too close to the blade.  Don't worry, I paid VERY close attention when he handled a knife.  I even tried to have him use a curved mincing knife for a while because I thought it might be easier for him to hold that handle, but no.


watch Liam bakes a caramel apple tart on my new you tube channel.


  • Caramel Apple Tart
makes 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cold water

2 fuji apples, sliced thinly (peels optional)
2 tbsp caramel balls


Directions:
  1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor until the butter is in tiny crumbles.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix until absorbed.  Slowly pour in the water through the processor lid while mixing.  The dough should be soft but not sticky.  Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Lightly spray the tart pan with cooking spray.  Gently push the dough into place in the pan.  Spread it out evenly.  Cover the dough evenly and thoroughly with the apple slices.  You will probably not need all the slices.  
  3. Either dump the caramel balls over top the apples and bake for 45 minutes, let cool, and eat.  OR  bake the tart without the caramel.  While the baked tart cools heat the caramel balls evenly in a microwave, then drizzle the caramel sauce over the tart.  Enjoy!
Note: Makes enough dough for one 9 1/2-inch tart, six 4-inch tartlets, twelve 2-inch miniature tartlets or one 13 3/4-by-4 1/4-inch rectangular tart.


No comments:

Post a Comment