Monday, April 27, 2015

peanut butter cup chia pudding





Nothing makes you feel more like a hippie than looking at the huge jar of chia seeds in your pantry.  I mocked chia for the longest time, remembering it as the dreaded chia pets my friends would tease me that they'd get me for my birthdays.  Oh, the horror.

 During a shopping trip to Winco recently I bought a tiny amount of chia seeds to try out.  I found them in the huge bulk section (which is mostly the reason why I love shopping there).  I loved how versatile chia is, how easy they are to add to a recipe, or just store, and if you can find them in bulk they are dirt cheap.  For reference, I got several cups at Winco for like $2, but a barely one cup pouch of them at Trader Joe's cost $4! No thank you.

My favorite use for chia seeds currently is chia pudding, ever popular on places like Pinterest.  It takes about two minutes to make at night, then all you have to do is let it sit overnight in the fridge.  Done.  Chia pudding is the perfect breakfast for busy chaotic mornings.  Plus, it tastes like dessert, is crazy delicious and filling, and doesn't kill all my allotted calories for the day.


All you need for the chia pudding is cocoa powder, sugar, PB2 powder, chia seeds, and milk.


Add all the ingredients into a cereal bowl and whisk well.  Then place in the fridge for at least one hour, or overnight.


I like using cashew milk because it makes the chia pudding really rich and creamy with only 60 calories a cup!  That's 30 less calories a cup than the watery skim milk I used to use.


I love having chia seeds on hand now because I know I can always make this for breakfast (or a snack!), or I can toss a tablespoon or two in with a bunch of other recipes.  And how cute to the chia seeds look in this cute jar?  I find that I eat healthier when my options are visible and pretty in my pantry.



If you really dislike the tapioca like bumps in the pudding (I know some people just despise that texture, and that's okay) just can stick the chilled pudding in the blender for a minute to smooth it all out.

Also, this chia pudding keeps me super happy full and energetic all morning.


peanut butter cup chia pudding
makes 1 large bowl (but feel free to share!)

ingredients:

  • 4 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp PB2 powder
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup milk
Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients into a large cereal bowl and whisk well.  Refrigerate overnight for a quick breakfast.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour if you want to eat sooner.  Stir well, enjoy!  Feel free to puree if you want a smooth texture.

Note: I used cashew milk for this recipe because got a free carton of it from Bzzagent and I wanted an excuse to try it out.  I love it!  I'm lactose intolerant so I like alternative diary options.  The cashew milk is delicious!  Its so rich and creamy.  IT makes this pudding taste so much more fattening than it really is.  That's fine with me.  :)







Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe
  1 Serving
Amount Per Serving
  Calories370.4
  Total Fat22.2 g
     Saturated Fat2.4 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.0 g
     Monounsaturated Fat1.2 g
  Cholesterol0.0 mg
  Sodium255.1 mg
  Potassium147.3 mg
  Total Carbohydrate41.5 g
     Dietary Fiber23.8 g
     Sugars13.7 g
  Protein18.1 g
  Vitamin A11.0 %
  Vitamin B-1250.0 %
  Vitamin B-60.3 %
  Vitamin C0.0 %
  Vitamin D25.0 %
  Vitamin E50.1 %
  Calcium70.7 %
  Copper10.2 %
  Folate0.4 %
  Iron22.2 %
  Magnesium10.7 %
  Manganese10.4 %
  Niacin0.6 %
  Pantothenic Acid    0.1 %
  Phosphorus    8.0 %
  Riboflavin30.8 %
  Selenium1.1 %
  Thiamin0.3 %
  Zinc10.5 %


*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment