Friday, May 29, 2015

homemade healthy fast food





We don't eat fast food very often.  It's usually a special treat, or a "well, we're already out of the house, starving, and have no food at home".  Of course you wouldn't know it by talking to Liam.  He acts like we go all the time, and will point out every "Donald's" location he sees.

I'm not really a fan of fried foods, and I try to make everyone happy with their food, so I thought I'd make some healthy versions of fast food instead.  I came up with


  • baked chicken nuggets
  • baked fries
  • chocolate covered strawberry shake (smoothie)

I used sweet potatoes for this recipe, they're just what I had on hand.  Russet potatoes or yams could be used instead.  Whatever you prefer.

Peel the potatoes and slice them up.  I like mine like steak fries.  Bonus if you cut them like steak fries because they take the same cooking time as the chicken so you can bake them for the same time.


Once the potatoes have been cut stick them into a freezer bag and season.  This makes the seasoning distribution so much more even.


I always let the kids shake the bag.  Next time I might have to video it.  They get really into it!


Classic breading station for the chicken.  Get a bowl each for flour, beaten egg, and seasoned breadcrumbs.  Work left to right covering fresh defrosted chicken pieces one at a time in the contents of each bowl.  Try to keep your fingers out of the contents as much as possible or you'll end up with "monster hands".  Liam thinks that part is hilarious.  Place the chicken pieces on a parchment covered baking sheet when they are ready.


 Once the potatoes and chicken are prepped, bake together at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  If you want to you can broil them for 2 minutes at the end for extra crispiness.


This is one of Liam's favorite ways to have chicken.  I only make it this way occasionally.  I don't want him to get too used to the idea of "fast food style".  :)

You know how people say that a great way to get kids to eat healthy is for them to cook their own food?  Liam's hands down favorite chicken is when I give him carte blanche of my spice drawer and let him season a whole chicken breast for himself.  My little string bean will inhale the whole thing that way!  Crazy.


This meal all came about from a few days ago when we had NO groceries at home, we were doing a million errands around town, and Liam was being an angel (I know, right?).  I promised him I'd split a milkshake with him on our way home, but the closet McDonald's milkshake machine was broken.  Liam was devastated, so I told him I'd make him one at home.  He had his heart set on strawberry, and I figured that would be the easiest flavor to make healthy anyway... 



baked fries

ingredients:
  • 4 medium potatoes (russets, yams, or sweet potatoes)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Peel potatoes and slice steak fry style
  2. place potatoes slices in freezer bag with oil and seasonings. Shake well.
  3. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake 30 minutes.
  4. (optional) broil for 2 extra minutes for crispiness.

baked chicken nuggets

ingredients:
  • 3 defrosted chicken breasts, cut into pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 2 eggs, well whisked
  • 1 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs (I like Italian seasonings)
  • 2 tbsp parmesan
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • garlic, salt, pepper, basil, chili powder to taste
directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Set out 3 bowls in a row.  Left to right fill with flour, whisked eggs, and breadcrumbs with seasonings and olive oil.
  2. Have a parchment covered baking sheet set out in easy reach of the bowls.
  3. Quickly dredge chicken in the bowl contents left to right, keeping your fingers as clean as possible.  Place finished chicken on baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes.  Outside should be golden.

chocolate covered strawberry "shake"

ingredients:
  • 12 oz. strawberry Greek yogurt
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp honey (optional)
directions:
  1. Place all ingredients in blender and blend!  Pour and drink. Depending on the sweetness of the strawberries, honey may or may not be utilized.


No comments:

Post a Comment