Tuesday, June 2, 2015

southwestern pizza





I love pizza.  Jeff disagrees with me.  He says that since my pizza is cheese-less (lactose intolerant & personal choice) its technically a flatbread.  Whatever.  I love flatbread.  :)

This version was just for me, so no cheese.  It tastes great this way, but I have included cheese in the accompanying recipe.


I love how versatile pizza is.  I generally make an uber veggie one for myself, and pepperoni or BBQ chicken for Jeff.  It is a great source of happiness for me that the boys also prefer my veggie filled pizza.  For the win!

I wanted to try some new pizza flavors, and southwestern seemed like a good place to start.  If all goes well, look for another new flavor coming soon.


This pizza is so good!  Tons of fresh veggies, lots of flavor, and refried beans?  Yes please!


Sorry, not much more to say, I just couldn't stop taking photos...


southwestern pizza
makes 1 large pizza

ingredients:

  • 2/3 can of refried beans (I used vegetarian beans, waaay less sodium)
  • 4 garlic cloves, diced
  • 1/3 large green bell pepper, sliced thin
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • handful of tomatoes (your choice which veriety, I used sun gold), sliced
  • 1/2 small can sliced black olives
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • fresh cilantro for garnishing (optional)
  • your favorite pizza dough (I love the Pioneer Woman's recipe)
directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  In a small oven safe pan roast the garlic, bell pepper, onion, and corn in the olive oil for 30 minutes.  Take out and set aside.
  2. Set oven to 500 degrees F.  Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay down rolled out pizza dough.  Spread evenly with refried beans.  Top with the roasted veggies, tomato slices, olives, and seasonings.  Bake for 11-12 minutes.  
  3. Remove form oven, cool for several minutes.  Top with optional cilantro and serve.
note: This pizza is almost better the next day.  I usually love cold pizza, but not one with beans on it.  To reheat bake on a baking sheet at 375 degrees F for 6 minutes.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment