Friday, June 5, 2015

white bean chicken chili soup





I kind of love those nights where I realize I have an hour or less until dinner needs to be ready, and I'm in need of a grocery store trip.  I almost always end up figuring out a new recipe that I really like.  If the perimeters change, I get too comfortable and lazy and tend to stick with what I know.

The goal was to make something for dinner that would be large enough to last for Jeff's lunch the next day.  If I could make it healthy and protein-rich too, then bonus!

This turned out perfectly and I wouldn't change a thing.  My house smelled amazing!  Jeff commented that it was delicious, he was just confused eating it because "it tasted like chili, but acted like soup".  I'll take it.



white bean chicken chili soup

serves 3-4

ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 4 cups chicken broth (preferably low-sodium)
  • 2 15 oz. cans white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
directions:
  1. Add olive oil, garlic, onion, and salt to pot on medium heat.  Stir often and cook for several minutes until soft.
  2. Add in chicken breasts.  Flip occasionally and let cook for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes.  
  5. Remove chicken and cut up, return to the pot.
  6. Taste, adjust seasonings if needed, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment