Friday, July 24, 2015

books to help kids become interested in cooking

Liam loves helping out in the kitchen.  He makes his own sandwiches, he helps me measure when we bake.  He helps me season chicken.  He's actually a pretty good culinary helper.

I think it helps him stay interested in cooking to read food themed books.  Here are some of Liam (and Jack's) favorite books about food.  Okay, some of these are just about food, not cooking, but they still get the boys interested in food, so I call it a win.  :)





This book goes through the whole process of getting ingredients to make a pancake.  The only down side of reading this book is that Liam usually insists we make pancakes right after reading it.




This book mostly makes Liam create with food.  Either putting together new combinations, or making HUGE pancakes, there are no stopping the possibilities. 



Liam is learning to make pasta sauce from scratch, because pasta is magical.




This book is perfect for us because blueberries are in both boy's top 5 foods, and Jack LOVES animals, including bears.




Okay, Paddington isn't really about food, but every time we read it Liam really wants to make marmalade, which I think is just the cutest thing ever.




What a shocker.  Liam thinks that this book is a sign we should make cookies.  I'm generally okay with that...


Anyway, I love teaching Liam to cook.  I refuse to let my kids be the ones in college who can barely boil water.  No way.  Teaching kids to cook is the best.  Its fun to do together, a fun hobby, a useful skill, and even educational.  Baking teaches Liam all about fractions and measurements.  It is a science people!  Cooking helps teach about experimentation.  I love when Liam figures out which seasonings go together all on his own.

I'm sure I own more food books than this, but this is a good start.  I love being able to teach my kids a skill while we have fun together.

If I manage to teach the boys enough in the kitchen so that they can make me breakfast in bed for Mother's Day in a few years, then bonus.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment