Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Panna Cotta


Doesn't this just look so fancy?  Yeah, it took me a whooping 5 minutes to make.

Panna cotta is such a great dessert.  It's quick to make, it requires very few ingredients, it looks so fancy, it isn't messy to eat, you can make it a day ahead of time.  Shall I go on?  Oh, and obviously, it tastes great too.  If you aren't familiar with panna cotta, it's like a vanilla pudding, and means "cooked cream."

Since this is such a simple dessert you can change it up every time you make it.  You can either serve the panna cotta in a pretty glass or turn the dessert out from a fancy mold and serve on a plate.  There are many sauce and flavoring options as well.  Jeff is a big fan of strawberry, I love orange and cranberry.


I know my panna cotta is ready when I can turn the glass over and nothing moves.  It totally reminds me of getting a Blizzard at Diary Queen as a kid.  That was always my favorite part.  Wow!  It didn't fall out!  Hi.  I'm a grown up and still fascinated by that.



I love all things orange creamsicle.  This panna cotta isn't super pretty with the thin color on the top but I really don't care.  I wanted to infuse the orange flavor throughout so after about an hour and a half in the fridge I poured about a tablespoon of orange curd over the panna cotta and allowed it to sink to the bottom.  This way I had the layer of orange covering the bottom, but also got a hint of orange through.  Yummy!

I made my orange curd, but store bought is fine.  You could also try lemon curd, strawberry jam, a fruit compote, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, etc.



This go around I used a cranberry pomegranate curd on the top, which I spread on after 4 hours.  I just love that bright color!




I like using a wide glass for the panna cotta so I get my fruity topping in every bite.

Panna Cotta
serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Cup milk
  • 1 1/2 packets of unflavored gelatin
  • 2 Cups heavy cream
  • 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
  • fruit topping of your choice

Directions:
  1. Combine the milk and gelatin in a medium saucepan off the heat and allow to absorb for 5 minutes.
  2. Add the cream, sugar, and vanilla and whisk continually on medium heat until sugar has fully dissolved and steam begins to rise over the pot.
  3. Remove from heat and pour into 6 glasses.  Let cool on the counter for several minutes, then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  Add your choice of sauce, jam, compote, etc. in a thin layer on top of the panna cotta after 4 hours to keep it from sinking.

Note: This dessert can be made a day ahead of time and kept in the fridge until needed.  If you want to make panna cotta in molds and tip them out make sure to rub the inside of your molds in coconut oil before pouring the dessert in.  To remove the panna cotta simply run the outside of the molds briefly in hot water.

Also, I prefer my panna cotta on the thick side.  If you don't, use one gelatin packet instead of 1 1/2.  No problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment