Saturday, September 27, 2014

pinto bean soup






As Jeff says, "It's like if a burrito was soup, or maybe it is like drinking a burrito.  Wait, but it tastes way better than that sounds..."


I'll get back to the soup in a minute.  Making soup started with us taking a nice family walk first.  We live just a few blocks from a park, so we see turkeys often enough, but usually they get nervous and run away if we get too close.  Not these turkeys!  We saw two of them close enough that I had to warn Liam not to try and pet them.


Jeff had to give Liam some leverage to see some turkeys across the road.  Ever find that you need to bribe your kids with snacks to take a walk with you?  Mine love waffles.



I always bring my camera for walks in case the boys do something cute, but this time I took more pictures of the sky than anything else.  The colors were just beautiful.  I don't think of myself as a very good photographer, and I didn't even have to edit these to get the lighting and colors.


I guess it was just the perfect time of day for photos.  I love photos of clouds.  Especially clouds with depths and several colors.





I honestly can't even pick a favorite scenery photo because I love them all.


I love when we see deer on our walks.  There were several deer here, but they were extra skittish because they had two babies with them, so this was the only shot I could get of them.


I call this the "I'm in a good mood but I still don't understand why you're taking my picture" face.


As long as this kiddo has his snuggle blanket with him to chew on he will stay in his stroller forever.  Unless you stop walking for a moment, then he will try to climb out over the side and crawl away.  Because he's a monkey.


Insert obligatory couple photo here...  Oh yeah, back to the soup.  It was a perfect evening, room temperature with a slight breeze.  But the air was still crisp like Fall.  I wanted to make something quick and easy for dinner that would also be healthy and make me happy (not all healthy and quick foods make me happy.  Like kale.  Gross...).


Pinto bean soup is great because it doesn't take all day, the ingredients are few and are basic pantry staples, and they are also healthy.  And cheap!  Even better.

Start out by chopping up a yellow onion and sauteing it with some olive oil and a big pinch of salt.  Stir it around over medium low heat until fragrant.


Add vegetable broth and pinto beans.  Stir around to incorporate and put the lid on.  Leave the soup alone for about 30 minutes.


After 30 minutes the beans should be very soft.  Use a potato masher to smash them a bit.  I like my soups very thick so I added a can of vegetarian refried beans.  At this point I also added the seasonings (black pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin).


Adjust the seasonings to taste, and take the soup off the heat when it reaches a consistency you like.


This soup is thick and hearty but still have large pieces of onion and pinto beans floating in it.  If you want a smooth soup just use an immersion blender at this point.


You can eat the soup plain, or dip things into it.  I almost made some polenta fries to dip into the soup, but then I forgot.  Yeah, I'm honest.


Jeff liked his with sharp cheddar and tortilla chips dipped in.


The soup tastes great alone, but there are so many ways to dress it up.  I can't wait to try some new add-ins next time I make this!



print recipe

pinto bean soup

like eating a liquid burrito (but better)

Ingredients
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 60 oz. pinto beans, cooked and drained
  • 30 oz. vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp refried beans
Instructions
1. Chop up a yellow onion and saute it in olive oil and salt on medium-low heat until fragrant and soft. 
2. Add the vegetable broth and pinto beans. Stir briefly and put the lid on the pot. Turn the heat up to medium and set a timer for 30 minutes.
3. When the timer goes off add the pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Then stir in a can of refried beans. Stir to get out any large chunks. Taste and check that seasonings are to your liking. When the soup is hot all the way through take off the heat and serve. Top with cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.

Details
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Yield: 4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment