Wednesday, September 3, 2014

orzo soup





This soup makes me so happy.  It looks like sunshine and tastes like it too, mixed with lemons.  It sounds strange I know.  I don't usually think of lemons and soup together, but it works.  The orzo and bit of cornstarch make the soup creamy and I just can't get enough of the color.  

You know what else makes me happy?  Cooking with wine.  :)  White wine can really kick up soup a notch.  And a little for me, a little for the soup...

On a completely unrelated note, sorry about the lack of posts for the past week or so.  Apparently it is really difficult to find time to blog while prepping for vacation and getting Liam ready to start preschool.  He's growing up so fast!  Crazy.


As oh so many of my recipes begin cut up the onion, carrots, and garlic and stir on medium heat with olive oil for about five minutes.


Add everything but the orzo and bring to a boil.  Let simmer for 30 minutes.


Add the orzo and continue to cook on medium low.  Stir fairly often to discourage sticking.  Take off the heat as soon as the orzo is soft and enjoy!  I love my soup with a nice piece of fresh bread and a glass of white wine.  Delicious!

 
I like my soup fairly thick.  If you want yours to be a bit thicker or thinner don't hesitate to add a bit more orzo or some more chicken broth.






print recipe

orzo soup

delightfully zesty and creamy soup

Ingredients
  • 2 large garlic cloves, diced
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1 1/2 cup orzo
Instructions
1. Dice up the garlic, onion, and carrot. Saute in olive oil and salt on medium heat for five minutes until fragrant.
2. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, cornstarch, white wine, and thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the orzo, stirring often to avoid sticking. Feel free to add more orzo or broth to change the thickness to your tastes. Serve immediately.

Details
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment