Thursday, April 10, 2014

apple-pear sauce



Applesauce is great.  I like to keep some in our fridge at all times.  I often use to it replace oil in recipes.  Plus we all like to eat it by itself too.  Yes, I know.  Applesauce is so easy and cheap to buy, but I prefer to make it myself.  Besides, who needs the preservatives when it gets eaten so quickly?  And homemade just tastes better.

One of Liam's favorite foods is "squeezy fruit".  You know, puree in a pouch.  He would eat a dozen of them every day if I let him (I do not).  Applesauce, or if this case apple-pear sauce make great squeezy fruit.  This version is a bit overbearing on the seasonings because Jeff and Liam are both ga-ga for cinnamon, so disregard the really dark color of the finished product.  I'm listing the seasonings in the amount that NORMAL people enjoy.


Peel the fruit and toss it in chunks into the crock pot.


Lift the lid and stir occasionally.  Most sauce will be lighter in color, but my boys loooove cinnamon, and there is at least 2 tablespoons of cinnamon in this.


this pouch filler is the best invention ever for a mom like me whose kid will eat ANYTHING if it is in pouch form.  This if from Target  if you are curious.  It makes filling pouches so much quicker and tidier.



note:  If you want to make just applesauce instead of apple-pear sauce just don't add the ginger.  Also, the amount of fruit used is just a guideline.  Use whatever amount fills your crockpot.  Although I'm pretty sure my crockpot is a fairly standard size.

ingredients:
8 small granny smith apples, peeled and cubed
4 anjou pears, peeled and cubed
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 C water or apple cider
1/4 C sugar

directions:
1. Peel and cube fruit and throw it in your crockpot.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Turn the crockpot on high for 4 hours.
2.  Use an immersion blender for a fine puree or a potato masher for a chuckier sauce.
3.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or make squeezy fruit.  My batch made 11 pouches.

No comments:

Post a Comment