Thursday, May 1, 2014

fakeout lo mein



I call this "fakeout" lo mein because it would probably get laughed at by anyone with skill at making real Chinese food.  I love Chinese food like crazy, I just suck at making it.  So many sauces that seem overly complicated, so many ingredients... This is the easy version that I can make just about any time I want.  I don't know about you, but I happen to keep every ingredient in this recipe in my fridge or pantry almost all the time.  Yes, this recipe requires a bit of prep, mostly chopping up veggies, but once you finish with that, it is so quick and simple.  I made mine veggie, but you can easily bake/ grill, etc. some chicken and throw some into the mix.

This recipe is great because I love veggies, and this has a ton, plus it reheats really well for leftovers, and I love any excuse to use chopsticks.  I'm not one of those crazy people who eat things like waffles with chopsticks (as much as I wish I was making that up, I've actually seen it... yeah), but I think eating with chopsticks is fun and not done enough.

I don't know if it is my lack of knowledge, or utter failure with legit Chinese food, but its been my experience that when you make it yourself there is either not enough sauce, or it is too thin, so when the noodles are added at the end no sauce sticks to them, and it is a sad day.  This sauce is a bit thicker, so it stays attached to everything well, and every bite has good flavor.  Yeah, I'm hungry now...


Evenly cut up the veggies first and add them to the pot with a bit of vegetable oil.  Minus the broccoli.  Let them soften for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevents burning.



Add the sauce.


The vegetables should have a nice glaze to them.


Once the veggies look almost done, add the broccoli.  This will cook fairly quickly and you don't want it to get overcooked.


This picture really wasn't necessary, I just thought it was cool that the pasta came knotted in the bag.  :)


I love any excuse to eat with chopsticks.  Well, any legitimate excuse.  I don't try to eat cereal with chopsticks or anything.  Jeff would rather use a fork at all times.  To each their own.


ingredients:
1/4 standard sized bag of spaghetti
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 C chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 small carrots, chopped
2 small broccoli florets, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger (optional)
2 cloves finely chopped garlic (optional)
1 chicken breast, shredded (optional)

directions:
1.  Cook the pasta until al dente and drain.  Set aside.
2.  Meanwhile, mix the hoisin sauce, chicken broth, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch and set aside.
3.  In a large wok or pot heat the vegetable oil for 30 seconds on medium-high heat.  Add the onion and stir for about 2 minutes, until they start to soften.  Add the carrots and bell pepper and stir for another 2 minutes.  Add the sauce, and if including, the garlic and/or ginger.  When the veggies have softened a bit stir in the broccoli and water chestnuts.
4.  If you are including chicken cut it into bit sized pieces and pan fry on medium heat in a frying pan with one tablespoon of vegetable oil.
5.  When the chicken, veggies, and pasta have all finished, mix them together in the largest pot or wok used and toss well.  Keep on the heat for several minutes, until warmed all the way through.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.  Serves 4-6.

Note:  Feel free to change the amount of time you cook your vegetables.  I prefer mine to be cook and obviously cooked, but with a bit of crunch left.  If Jeff had it his way, all the vegetables would be very soft.  It's all personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment