Sunday, May 18, 2014

Oreo cake



Jeff: Are you hangry?

me:  What?

Jeff:  Hangry.  You know, like in that Tina Fey commercial where she eats the potpourri.

me:  Weird.  And no.  It's her birthday today.

Jeff:  Huh.  She shares a birthday with our cat.  Are you going to make her a cake?

me:  Tina Fey?

Jeff:  Weird.  Why would you make Tina Fey a cake?  No, I meant are you going to make a cake for Luna.

me:  Cause that's the normal option?  Making our cat a cake?



Anyway, now I have to supposedly figure out how to make a cake for our cat out of dry cat food.  Because I have nothing better to do...


So here's a recipe for Oreo cake, because that sounds way more appetizing than cat food cake (which I'm going to try my best to get out of making, because chances are, all I'm going to do is waste my time and a bunch of cat food).

So the Oreo cake started out because Jeff loves Oreos, but he wanted me to stop him from eating an entire row of them in one sitting, so I suggested he save most of them for an Oreo cake instead.  Come on, Oreo PLUS cake?  Awesome!  I'm a bit embarrassed at how ugly the frosting is, but it was hot and humid the night I made it, and I was too much in a hurry to eat cake to bother sticking it in the fridge to firm up a bit before frosting with it.  One the plus side, the frosting took about two seconds to make, and the cake was yummy!  Plus...Oreo.


The picture above is my favorite pasrt of cake making.  Before the dry ingredients are added the batter looks so smooth and chiffon-y.  So pretty.



The cakes are done when they are slightly golden with darker edges.  I just discovered miracle pan release and it is amazing.  I have never had cakes slide out of pans this easy in my entire life.  I am totally using this release on all my future cakes!


I can smell them from this picture I swear!  Imagine warm vanilla infused Oreos.  Heaven.


This cake and frosting have just about an entire box of Oreos between them.  The frosting recipe just barely covers the cake fairly thinly, so be warned.  If you like thick frosting you might want to make a batch and a half.




I really don't have much else to say about this cake, I thought I'd just let the pictures speak for themselves.




print recipe

Oreo cake
vanilla cake with almost an entire box of crushed Oreos mixed in. Can't go wrong there.
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3 cups AP flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 15 Oreos, crumbled
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep two 9" cake pans. Set aside. Beat butter and sugar in stand mixer on medium until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed and add in eggs and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.2. Add in the milk, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add in the flour until the batter is smooth.3. Seal 15 Oreos in a freezer bag and smash tem into tiny pieces. Add them into the batter. Divide the batter evenly into the two pans and bake until golden on top and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let cool for ten minutes, then remove the cakes and allow to cool completely.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: a 2 layer 9" cake



Oreo frosting
vanilla frosting with crushed Oreos mixed in.
Ingredients
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • a smudge of salt
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 15 Oreos, crushed
Instructions
1. Beat the butter, vanilla, and salt until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar and milk until well mixed. Add crushed Oreos.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: frosting for a 9" two layer cake

No comments:

Post a Comment