Wednesday, May 14, 2014

lentil soup



Having a bad cold in warm weather is the worst.  I try to nip colds in the bud in our house because duh colds suck, and I don't want the cold to spread.  Of all the cold remedies I've tried, the combo that works best for us is lots of chicken broth and garlic.  Medications, Vitamin C or zinc tablets?  Nah, they just don't do much.  I don't mind making meals with lots of chicken broth and garlic when colds arise (I love them anyway), but you can only eat chicken soup for so many meals before you need a change.  Yes, this is still soup, but it's heartier, still feels warm and smooth down your throat, and comforts you while it quickly kills your cold.  I'm pretty sure chicken broth and garlic is the magical key because we rarely get colds, and when we do, they only last 1-3 days.  Sweet, right?

I love this soup.  It's full of lentils and vegetables, so so get some protein and veggies (duh again), but it is also very filling, and you can have it as chunky or creamy as you like.  I used an immersion blender to puree about half of it, just to thicken it up a bit.

My usual lentil soup is very chunky and hearty, but this time I wanted a lighter, smoother version that would go down a sore throat easier.  This soup is also a mild attempt at making a version of my favorite soup ever, a lemony lentil soup from my favorite restaurant Casablanca.  Look it up if you're in Sacramento, it's the best Moroccan food ever.


Honestly you can dice the carrots, onion, and garlic whatever sizes you want, just make sure the sizes are even.



I like my onions and garlic to soften and my carrots to cook a bit before I add the broth.  It only takes a few extra minutes, but adds so much flavor!  Definitely worth it.


I didn't add it to the recipe, but if you have some saffron, add a pinch to the soup at the end.  It makes a huge difference and really kicks the soup up a notch.  If you don't have any, don't worry, the soup is still good without it.


I absolutely love crusty bread dipped in soup.  And wine.  Wine is good with everything.



ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
6 garlic cloves, diced
2 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tsp cumin
pepper, to taste
1 tsp chili powder
2 quarts chicken broth
2 C dried lentils
juice of one lemon

directions:
1.  In a large pot heat the olive oil on medium heat and toss in the onions.  Saute until soft, about 4 minutes.  Add the garlic and carrots, and saute another 4 minutes, stirring so the vegetables don't burn.
2.  Stir in the tomato sauce, cumin, pepper, and chili powder.  Once coated, add the broth, 2 cups of water and the lentils.  Bring to a simmer, then cover the pot and turn the heat to medium-low.  Cook until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.Taste, and add more seasoning if necessary.
3.  Use an immersion blender to partially or entirely puree soup, then stir in lemon juice.  Serve hot with crusty bread.  Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment