Sunday, August 24, 2014

apple crisp





Apple crisp is one of those desserts that I always forget to make, but every time I do make it I think, "Why am I not making this all the time?!"

Apple crisp is great.

It takes about half an hour to make.
It's healthy for a dessert.
The ingredients are simple and almost always currently in the kitchen.

I say this is a healthy dessert.  My version is at least.  I don't use any butter.  By far the most unhealthy part of my apple crisp is the brown sugar, and you can always cut that down yourself.


One of the other random things I love about this recipe, no mixing bowl needed.  Dump everything directly into the 8x8 baking dish and mix together a bit with a wooden spoon.


As you can no doubt notice I leave the peels on my apples.  Jeff and I like it this way, and I generally try to keep as much nutrients possible.  Feel free to peel your apples.




My apple crisp gets its crispiness from the apples being partially cooked and soft, while keeping a bit of the uncooked crunchiness.  The only other way to get crispness without butter is to almost overcook it so the edges begin to brown.  That way is okay, but the majority of the apples get too soggy that way.






print recipe

apple crisp
Ingredients
  • 4-5 small varieties of crisp apples like fuji and granny smith
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Instructions
1. Slice (and peel optionally) apples. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Pour the applesauce on the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Pour the rest of the ingredients over top. Mix gently with a wooden spoon. Bake for 30 minutes. Eat immediately or cooled. Pairs very well with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Details
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment