Tuesday, August 19, 2014

pumpkin oatmeal





Yes, I am aware that it is still only August, but like a lot of people, I LOVE fall and can't wait until it gets here.  Snuggly clothes, pumpkin flavored everything, using the fireplace, lighting candles, drinking potfuls of tea apologetically... you get the drift.

So I jumped the gun a bit and made this oatmeal.  I was planning on making oatmeal for breakfast anyway and I had an open can of pureed pumpkin in my fridge.  Really, it wasn't much of a leap to figure out how I got here.  I'm glad I made this though.  It's so good!  I used milk instead of water to make the oatmeal extra creamy, and I added brown sugar quite liberally.  Don't get me wrong, it's still actually a pretty healthy breakfast.  Each serving is only about 300 calories with 10 grams of protein.  Not bad for a super decadent tasting sweet breakfast.

I love sugar in my breakfast.  I would gladly eat a simple salad every lunch and dinner if I get something sweet for breakfast.  This is the best of both because it provides protein for the day and doesn't totally mess up my daily calorie intake.  Score.


This recipe is impossible to screw up.  Add all of the ingredients into a pot.  Turn the stove onto medium heat, and stir occasionally until the oatmeal starts to thicken and the oats are soft.  Just make sure to take the pot off the heat before it turns to the consistency of sticky glue.


I like using quick oats.  If you are using steel cut, or another different kind of oats cook as instructed on the packaging.


Pour your oatmeal into two containers and sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.  I like to let my brown sugar sink in a little, then I stir it up.  So good!


This makes the best fall breakfast.  I think I might have to make it again tomorrow...



 



print recipe

pumpkin oatmeal

The perfect warm and decadent fall breakfast. With 300 calories and 10 grams of protein a serving.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1 3/4 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 tbsp, divided brown sugar
Instructions
1. Add the oats, milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, and 3 tbsp of brown sugar into a pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. Mix well and stir occasionally until the oatmeal is hot, and beginning to thicken. The oats should be soft. If you made it too thick, add a bit more milk to thin it out. Pour into two bowls and top each with the remaining brown sugar (1/2 tbsp each serving). Eat immediately.


Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Yield: 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment