Thursday, August 14, 2014

spanish rice



I love Spanish rice.  I really do.  Before today when I made up my own recipe for it, I've NEVER had good luck making it myself.  Either the rice is still a bit crunchy while everything is finished, or the rice won't absorb all the liquid and everything is soupy... really, I could continue.  This recipe worked perfectly and I loved everything about it.  It is fluffy, flavorful, sweet, savory, and spicy-ish.  Heaven.  I just ate this rice with some black beans, but it also worked perfectly in Jeff's burrito (which he inhaled before I could get a photo).



I've been doing really well lately eating healthy balanced small portioned meals.  That mostly went out the window at dinner tonight.   This rice turned out even better than I'd hoped and I HAD to have seconds.  I'm really glad this recipe makes quite a lot because I'm already looking forward to having this for lunch tomorrow...


I started off (not pictured) making my rice in a rice cooker.  While that started I added my chopped onion and garlic into a pot of heated vegetable oil one medium low heat.  Stir to avoid burning.  Add a pinch of sea salt and give the onions a bit of time to turn opaque.


Add the chicken broth and the chopped tomatoes.


I used mostly sun gold tomatoes.  I love their bright golden color and sweetness.


Next add the tomato paste, salsa, and seasonings.  Mix well.  By this time the rice should be ready.  Add it in.  If the rice isn't ready yet, just take the pot off the heat and wait for it.


Mix in the corn and the diced green chilies.


Lastly add the can of petite diced tomatoes.


Mix everything together well and taste.  When the seasonings are to your liking and all the broth has been absorbed, you are done!  It should be hot and fluffy.  And probably make you realize that you're starving.  Or is that just me?


I'm one of those people who only needs to make small meals.  Two adults, a toddler who barely eats, and a baby don't need much.  And yet I continually make enough food to feed an army at every meal.  Good thing we all like leftovers.  :)  This rice is versatile though.  Side dish, burrito, paella... those are a few of my favorite ways to use extra rice.  Got any new ideas?



This recipe is great for parties or large groups (or if you love leftovers) because it makes a large pot full.  I like it with black beans, Jeff likes burritos.  Jack is a huge fan and will grab all the rice he can reach and shove it in his face.  This 9 month old likes his spices!


print recipe

spanish rice
Flavorful soft rice full of veggie goodness.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups white rice, uncooked
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, diced
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 12 oz chicken broth
  • 1 cup small tomatoes (like sun gold), sliced
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup salsa (I used medium Pace)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2/3 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
  • 4 oz can diced green chilies
  • 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
Instructions
1. Grab a rice cooker and pour into it 2 cups each of white rice and water. Turn it on and cook. 2. Once the rice has started cooking peel 1/2 a yellow onion and 3 garlic cloves and cook them in a pot on medium low with the vegetable oil and salt. Stir them to avoid burning and allow the onions to turn opaque. Add in the sliced tomatoes and broth. Give the tomatoes several minutes to soften.3. Stir in the tomato paste, salsa, and the remaining seasonings. At this point add in the rice. If it not ready yet take the pot off the heat and wait for the rice to be ready. Lastly, stir in the green chilies, corn, and diced tomatoes.4. Once all the ingredients have been added stir the rice around to be sure everything is well mixed. The rice is ready when it is soft and fluffy, and there is no extra liquid in the pot. Enjoy hot and refrigerate the leftovers.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8-12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment