Monday, August 4, 2014

honey lollipops and lozenges



The worst way to wake up is to have your toddler shake you awake and cough out, "Mommy, I'm sick."  I don't know about most toddlers, but Liam refuses almost all liquids when he's sick.  Yeah, it drives me crazy.  However, like all sugar obsessed little kids, he loves candy.  Honey lollipops and lozenges are great for kids with sore throats, and with only one ingredient they are a snap to make.


This looks a bit weird, but I was running low on honey when I made these (it was pretty spur of the moment) so I had to use two different containers of honey.  Hence the colors.  The darker blob is cinnamon infused honey and the light blob is a basic clover.  Anyway, add half a cup of honey to a saucepan and stir on medium high for about 10 minutes, or until the honey reaches 300 degrees using a candy thermometer.


In the meantime prep your candy molds, etc.  I only had one plastic mold in the size I wanted, but if you have more than one, great.  Spray it lightly with cooking spray.  I don't own lollipop molds, just the sticks (for cake pops).  If you want to free form lollipops like I did, place the top half of your sticks on parchment paper and anchor it down flat (I didn't but I should have).


Make sure to keep an eye on your honey and stir often to avoid sticking.


Pour the honey into the molds once it hits 300 degrees F.  It will pour fast and spread out so be careful to not fill your molds all the way full.


 I free formed my lollipops on a bumpy surface.  They are the world's ugliest lollipops.


It should take 5 minutes or less for your candy to harden and cool to room temperature.  When this happens, pop them out of the molds and break off any ugly or sharp edges.


The lollipops and lozenges should be hard, cooled, and very shiny.  Wrap them individually to avoid them sticking together.  I used cut squares of saran wrap and stored them in a tupperware container in my pantry.


Liam loved the added cinnamon flavor mixed with the honey, and his cough went away the next day.

Note:  If you or your child thinks the straight honey tastes too strong, you can add in some corn syrup to tone it down.




print recipe

honey lollipops and lozenges
these are great for any age 1 year and up to stop coughs, sore throats, or just to enjoy.
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup honey
Instructions
1. Pour the honey into a small saucepan and stir on medium high heat for about ten minutes until the honey reaches 300 degrees F on a candy thermometer. 2. Meanwhile prep candy molds lightly with cooking spray and /or set out lollipop sticks on a piece of smoothed parchment paper.3. Take the pot off the heat and pour the hot honey into the molds or onto the top of the lollipop sticks. Do not fill the molds entirely as the candy will spread out a bit. Wait about 5 minutes for the candy to harden and cool completely. Then pop the candy out of the molds, break off any sharp edges, and wrap individually to avoid the pieces sticking together. Store in a airtight container in the pantry. These keep indefinitely.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 mold tray & 3 lollipops

No comments:

Post a Comment