Monday, June 23, 2014

chocolate overnight oatmeal



Try this.  You will thank me.  I guarantee.  If you like breakfast that tastes like dessert, this will be your new favorite.  I LOVE sweet breakfasts.  They taste delicious, but tend to be far to high in sugar, and far too low in protein.  This solves those issues.

This is sweet with great texture, and is easy to eat on the go.  Even better, it takes 5 minutes to make with no prep needed, and you've made three breakfasts (one batch equals three servings).

Fantastic, right?  Seriously, I have yet to see a down side to this recipe.  This texture alone is heaven.  Thick like pudding, and though I originally thought the oatmeal chunks might taste strange, they actually taste like little pieces of melting chocolate.  Don't know how that's possible, but it is delicious.  Seriously.

Note:  I do try to list recipes that require only standard ingredients that you'd probably have at home anyway.  This recipe uses protein powder, but trust me, if you don't have any already this recipe alone is worth getting some.  There are many other uses for protein powder too, so don't shy away from trying some.

Did I forget to mention that an 8 ounce jar full of this oatmeal is less than 300 calories and almost 20 grams of protein?  Yeah.  You heard me.


This all started when I was looking up new healthy breakfast ideas because I get bored so quickly eating the same old things.  I kept seeing recipes for overnight oatmeal.  It sounded weird at first, but I decided at make a chocolate version.  I'm so glad I did!


 This recipe perfectly fills three 8 ounce mason jars.


 I'm now even going to show photos of the process because honestly, it'd just be a photo of a bowl with this same oatmeal mix in it.  All you do is dump all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until evenly incorporated.  It is really that fast and easy.


Fresh out of the fridge the next morning.  Cold and refreshing.  And full of chocolately goodness!




print recipe

chocolate overnight oatmeal
Sweet and healthy overnight oatmeal full of chocolately goodness.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup chocolate protein powder
Instructions
1. Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour into 3 8oz. mason jars and cover. Store overnight in the fridge. Eat cold straight from the fridge. Enjoy!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 3 8oz. mason jars

No comments:

Post a Comment