Monday, June 16, 2014

tamale pie



It is really crazy how little free time you get with a VERY spirited toddler, a teething baby, a huge "to do" list, an actual job (sometimes), and the list goes on...

I realized I hadn't gotten a chance to post for a bit.  Oops.  Honestly, I would love to have a new post daily, but lately there has been mad chaos in the house.  Fun chaos, don't get me wrong, but chaos none the less.

This tamale pie recipe is one of my go-to recipes for a quick dinner.  It takes less than an hour from start to finish, and most of that time is just baking.  This recipe is great because it only requires a few basic ingredients which I try to keep stocked anyway, and there are a plethora of great add-ins to try depending on your mood (or the state of your pantry!)  I've listed the basic version, but I'll give you a few good extras to try as well.


Another reason why I love tamale pie, well, a few reasons...  It has a yummy comfort food vibe, it is pretty healthy and balances well with a side salad and some fruit, and it makes for great leftovers.  Seriously,  this reheats beautifully which definitely cannot be said of all foods!


The topping looks a bit sparse here because I was in desperate need of a grocery store run, so I cut the topping recipe in half.  I include the picture anyway to show that that is in fact a viable option if you want to make this, but eat fewer carbs.


Since tamale pie makes for great leftovers, and I just love it anyway, I often make a double batch (which works perfectly size wise in a 9x13 casserole dish).


ingredients:
2 tsp vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 cans (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn
3/4 C corn meal
2 C milk (any percent)
1 egg

directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a large wide pot heat the oil on medium heat and add the garlic, stirring to avoid burning.  Once garlic has softened, add the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, beans, and corn.  Stir to combine.  Take off heat and pour into an 8x8 oven safe dish.  Set aside.
2.  Meanwhile, in a small saucepan stir together the corn meal and milk on medium heat.  Continue to stir to avoid burning and sticking.
3.  In a small bowl crack the egg and whisk with a fork to separate.  Once corn meal mixture has begun boiling and has thickened remove from heat and quickly stir in egg thoroughly.
4.  Pour the topping over the bean mixture, trying to spread evenly.  It should cover or just about cover the entire top of the beans.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden.  The crust should still be soft.  Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.  Don't worry, this dish really holds the heat in.  Eat hot.  Serves 2-4.


extras:
you can change this recipe up a lot by adding one or two ingredients.  I'm sure you can think of plenty original ideas, but these are a few of my favorites.  I only add one of these specific things at a time to my recipe, but feel free to go nuts!


  • 1 red bell pepper, diced (add in with the garlic)  SWEET
  • 1 small can of sliced black olives (add with the beans)   SALTY
  • 1 small can of green chilies (add with the beans)   SPICY
  • 1 small container of ground meat (add with the garlic)   MEATY
  • 2 C shredded pork (add with the garlic)   MEATY
  • 1 C cheddar cheese (sprinkle over the corn meal topping)  CHEESY

No comments:

Post a Comment