Sunday, June 8, 2014

parsnip muffins



It never fails.  When I first offer anyone a parsnip muffin they look at me like I'm crazy.  But really, these are fairly similar to carrot muffins, and those are viewed as normal.  Make up your own mind, but these are amazing.  Sweet, super moist, and so worth a try.

If you are one of those people who has no idea what a parsnip is, or where to find one (I'm finding that many people fit into this category) you should look in the produce section of any respectable grocery store.  They look like fat white carrots.

This recipe is adapted from Alton Brown's fantastic recipe here.  I changed the muffins into mini muffins, which I like better, because 3 minis have the same amount of batter as one full-sized muffin, but it feels like you get more bang for your buck, eating 3 whole (mini) muffins.  Make sense?


I like my silicone wrappers because they are cute, but they are totally unnecessary.  If you don't have silicone, skip the paper wrappers and use a PAM style spray instead.


I grate the nutmeg fresh, and it makes such a difference!  You don't have to, just a suggestion.

 ingredients:
1 3/4 C AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 C vanilla yogurt
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C sugar
1 1/4 C grated parsnips

directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grate the parsnips and set aside.
2.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.  Whisk eggs, yogurt, oil,and sugar in a large bowl.  Add dry ingredients into large bowl.  Fold in parsnips.  Spoon into greased mini muffin tins, and bake for 15 minutes.

Makes almost 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment