Tuesday, June 3, 2014

egg bake



I can see why these are so popular.  I don't eat them myself because honestly, I don't eat a single ingredient in this one in particular.  But I can see why others with "normal" food likes would love this.  First off, it's easy, fairly quick, and contains only a small amount of ingredients.  Intrigued?  You should be.


I used a square pyrex dish for this and served out what I thought was a decent sized piece, but then Jeff inhaled it and went back for another square.


I decided to go super basic and not add seasonings, to let the flavors of the food speak for themselves.  I tend to go crazy on seasonings, so I thought I should try making a dish or two without going overboard.


Without trying to sound gross, there is no need to prep the pan for this dish because the sausage grease will do the job for you.  When you cut into the egg bake to serve, it should easily separate from the pan.


ingredients:
1 roll of prepackaged frozen breakfast sausage
2 C thawed O'Brien potatoes
4 eggs
1 C cheddar cheese

directions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cook the sausage in a skillet until browned and crumbly, then dip it out into the square pyrex, covering the bottom as evenly as possible.
2.  Evenly pour out the potatoes over the sausage.
3.  Whisk the eggs lightly and pour them evenly over the sausage and potatoes.
4.  Grate the cheddar and sprinkle it over the top of the dish.  Place it in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs appear to be cooked fully and the cheese has melted.  Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve.  It will still be rather hot.

Serves 2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment