Wednesday, June 25, 2014

veggie lasagna



Okay, ignore the almost invisible amount of cheese in the photos.  As 99.8% of the country is OBSESSED with cheese, and I am not... well, let's just say I'm playing to the vegan or lactose intolerant crowd and leave it at that, shall we?  In short, there is only a tiny bit of Parmesan pictured, but feel free to smother this with Parmesan and mozzarella for yourself.  No hard feelings.  I'm posting this recipe anyway because it is amazing and I could probably eat it daily.

We've all eaten that pasta dish at one point or another where the veggies were just tossed in with the noodles raw and they become mushy and tasteless?  This is not that dish.  The veggie roasting is essential.  The veggies are not total mush, and this really brings out all the flavor.

I like seasonings.  I really do.  I would love to have them all fresh all the time, but kids, schedules, etc. happen.  I'm not a snob.  I will use fresh or dried.  I keep hearing people complain that dried herbs have no flavor  Well, eat a dish unseasoned, and eat the same dish with only dried seasonings.  Get back to me on that about how NOT THE SAME they tasted.  Yeah, I thought so.

Anyway, I'll get down to it, shall I?


Yummy.  Don't mind my drool...


Sorry about the photo.  I am absolutely hopeless at neatly picking anything up with a spatula.



Place your chopped and seasoned vegetables (I used onion, garlic, tomato, red bell pepper, and zucchini) in a pan together and roast for 45 minutes.


Lasagna assembly is such a messy process.  At least it is for me.  My layers include marinara sauce, lasagna noodles, extra seasonings, roasted vegetables, and Parmesan.


It really doesn't matter the order you assemble this, but putting marinara on the bottom voids the need for cooking spray, and generally the top is smothered in cheese.



Yeah, this photo is pretty bad, but still, LASAGNA!


This looks like heaven to me.  This smothered in cheese probably looks like heaven to you.



See that white blob in the top left corner under the top noodle?  Yeah, that's a huge clove of garlic.  This tastes great, but probably don't kiss anyone directly after eating.  PSA.




print recipe

veggie lasagna
lasagna with roasted vegetables
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 tbsp basil (divided)
  • 1 tbsp oregano (divided)
  • 4 cups marinara sauce
  • 12 lasagna noodles
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan
  • 2 cups mozzarella (optional)
Instructions
1. Chop the vegetables into even sizes and roast in a 9x9 oven safe dish with the olive oil and 1/3 of the seasonings for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. Leave the oven on. 2. Begin assembling the lasagna. Sauce on the bottom, then 3 noodles, then some seasonings, then veggies, then Parmesan. Continue layering until your run out of materials, ending with the Parmesan (or mozzarella if using) on the top. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and everything looks fully cooked (or melted). Let sit for 10 minutes, then enjoy! Makes for great leftovers too.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 9x13 pan

No comments:

Post a Comment