Tuesday, July 15, 2014

grilled veggie skewers



If I could eat grilled veggie skewers everyday I would.  They meet ALL my favorite food criteria.
  • easy
  • tasty
  • cheap
  • quick
Great, right?  Plus the produce can easily be switched around depending on what you've already got, and what your favorite produce includes.  I like sweet and savory.


These are some of my skewer standard veggies.  I cut these into large bite sized pieces, then added some pineapple chunks and marinade.  Although I did microwave my potato chunks for 5 minutes before marinading them, as they need to cook longer than everything else I used.


Freezer bags are so awesome.  Cut up the produce, stick it in a freezer bag, and toss with marinade.


I couldn't get a picture this time, but shaking the bag is Liam's favorite part.  It is a fun job and a way for kids to be a big helper.  Let the bag sit out for at least 30 minutes.


My skewers are all really random.  They are all a little different.


Jeff is the family grill master.  He grills them until they are lightly browned on the edges.  Perfection. 


print recipe

grilled veggie skewers
mix and match your favorite produce for some easy and delicious skewers
Ingredients
  • 4 small small potatoes
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1/2 small can pineapple chunks
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp garlic
  • 1 tsp basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
1. Cut the produce into large bite-sized chunks. Microwave the potatoes in a small bowl with a little water for 5 minutes. Add the produce and marinade into a freezer bag and seal well. Shake until everything is evenly coated. Let sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes.2. Skewer the produce and place on a large plate or tray. Grill for a few minutes, until the ends are lightly browned. Enjoy immediately.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: about 8 skewers

No comments:

Post a Comment