Monday, July 14, 2014

butternut squash soup



I made this a while ago, and while I was so excited that it went over well (Jeff and I recently discovered how good squash can be), I was even more excited about the soup being the first meal that all four of us ate together.  Liam loves soup just as much as Jeff and I do, and since its pureed Jack can enjoy it in the same form as the rest of us.  He thought he was hot stuff!  This was an experiment because Jeff and I are still figuring out squash recipes we like...but it definitely was a hit.  I probably should have waited a few months to post this and have the info about Jack eating real food be a bit dated because Jeff said this soup tastes like Autumn to him.  I agree.  I love everything about Fall though, so this made me happy.

This soup is very simple and if you like squash or Fall I think you will like it too.



I just love this color.  Its even better in person.  I swear, this yellow is the color of happiness.  Totally cheese-ball comment of the day...


The first thing you do is cut a smallish butternut squash in half and cut the ends off, drizzle a little olive oil over top and roast it until it softens.  This will give it much more flavor and also make it a cinch to remove from the outside.


While the squash is roasting I put the onion in a pot with a little more olive oil so it could soften and sweeten.  I suppose you could do that in the oven in the same pan as the squash, you'd just have to check on it to make sure it didn't burn.


Add the squash with the onion in the pot for a minute or two on medium heat.  I took my veggies out of the pot and pureed in my blender, but you could keep it in the pot and use an immersion blender if you like.


Lastly, add the seasonings.  I like it as is, but you you want a creamier soup this is one that would taste great with a bit of milk added.

print recipe

butternut squash soup
If you like squash or Autumn you will like this soup.
Ingredients
  • 1 butternut squash, smallish
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup milk (optional)
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prep a lined lipped pan. Cut the ends off a squash, remove the seeds and extra fibers, cut in half, and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender but only the outside has browned. Remove from the oven and let cool until cool enough to touch.2. In a large pot slice the onion into large chunks and cook over medium heat in the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. The onion should become lighter and sweeter. Remove from heat if it starts to brown before the squash is done cooling.3. Take the outer peel off the squash and discard. Place the soft squash into the pot with the onion and stir for several minutes. Add the broth and puree using a blender or an immersion blender. Taste, then add salt and pepper to your liking. If you want, you could add some milk or cream to make the soup creamier.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment