Saturday, July 26, 2014

breakfast bread






I am aware of the total mind-numbing vagueness of the title of this recipe.  Sorry about that.  I really don't know what to call it because

  1. I'm terrible at names
  2. this was originally supposed to be coffee cake before I altered it almost completely and now I don't know what it is exactly
Let's just say it's closer to say, banana bread (but with no bananas) than it is to coffee cake.  Okay?

I was going to make the coffee cake from Jessica Seinfield's cookbook Deceptively Delicious, but then I realized I was out of a bunch of the ingredients, and from then I ended up just adding bits of things, and changing times, and temperatures... and it ended up being breakfast bread instead of coffee cake.

A note about Jessica Seinfield's book:  I am a fan of it for the sole reason that I figure I might as well get the most nutrients possible out of the food I eat, so why not add additional produce in the form of purees?  You can't taste it.  If I'm dead set on eating brownies, I might as well eat brownies with spinach and carrots in them.  I know it sounds gross, but really, they are pretty darn good!  I don't add the produce purees into food to trick my kids into eating veggies.  They both love them anyway, and I want them to KNOW they are eating fruits and veggies from the get-go.

Tangent over.  I swear.


I didn't include pre-baking photos because I forgot, and frankly all you do is dump all the ingredients into a bowl and mix them until just incorporated.  Simple, no photo needed.



This photo and the next are utterly horrible (of me), but I had to include them because of the story.  I had just taken the bread out of the oven when Liam grabbed my camera and volunteered to take "the photo of the food".  Guess I take a lot of photos of food that he's picked up on that... These photos are also the first two Liam has ever taken.


Seriously, Liam put the camera right up to his eye even though my camera doesn't have a view finder.  It was so cute!


Moist and flavorful.  Yum.  The butternut squash reminds me of pumpkin.  Full of sweetness.




print recipe

breakfast bread
A sweet cake-y breakfast bread
Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 4 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butternut squash puree
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together until just incorporated. 2. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Eat warm or cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8x8 pan

No comments:

Post a Comment